You've Been Spotted!
Congratulations! If you are visiting this page that means that you have been given one of our ‘You’ve been spotted’ postcards from a member of Northern Ballet.
This means that we think that you have talent and potential to excel in dance.
On this page you will find information on what to do next.
Attend the course of ‘Spotted’ weekly ballet classes running throughout January and February 2014. These are completely free of charge and will give you the chance to develop your talent in dance further.
Classes and courses
Northern Ballet offers a range of different training programmes for young people aged 2 – 16 years.
If you have enjoyed the Northern Ballet workshop then you could start training with us on a weekly basis. You could start dancing as a hobby or if you think you might like to be a professional dancer when you are older you could think about auditioning for our professional training programme.
Here is a list of classes and courses that you might be interested in.
- Academy of Northern Ballet Classes
- Open to all students aged 2-16. No audition necessary just an interest in dance. You just need to fill in a registration and send it back to us.
- Registrations for September’s classes will open in May 2015.
- Classes cost between £4 and £6 per week depending on standard.
- Funded places are available for each class but are limited so please call the Academy office to discuss this – 0113 220 8000.
- Professional Training Programme (CAT programme)
- This course is open to students aged 10-17 and is an intensive training programme for students who show exceptional potential in dance.
- Students train will us for a minimum of 8 hours a week after school and at the weekends.
- The average timetable in the first year is as follows...
- The course is funded by the department for education and fully funded places are available as well as bursaries for uniform and travel.
- Students have to audition for this course but no previous dance experience is necessary.
- Open Easter courses
- For Greater Yorkshire students: Monday 30 March – Thursday 2 April
- For Leeds students: Monday 13 – Thursday 16 April
- For anyone aged 6-14 join Northern Ballet this Easter and create your own version of a magical story.
- Cost - to be confirmed, some subsidies available for Spotted students
Frequently asked Questions
- How much will it cost?
This depends on which class or course you do.
It could be the case that it costs you absolutely nothing and we can help you with your travel costs and uniform costs.
It should not be the case that the money puts you off training to be a dancer because there are usually ways in which we can help.
For more information on funding please call or the Academy- email@example.com 0113 220 8000. Please mention that you have received a ‘You’ve Been Spotted Postcard’.
- Where are the classes?
All the classes are held in our beautiful dance studios in our award winning home at Quarry Hill in Leeds (opposite the bus station).
- If I audition will it be scary?
Not at all. All staff at Northern Ballet are very friendly and will make you feel welcome. For the audition you will do a very basic dance class- similar to the sessions that you will have already done in your school so there is nothing to be frightened about.
- If I audition will I definitely get in?
We have already seen that you have potential in dance but we want to make sure that we find the right course for you. It may be the case that we feel it is a little bit soon for you to start training intensively so we will recommend classes and things to practise in the meantime.
- What can I do with dance?
You can make a good living out of dancing professionally if you are good enough, travel round the world and perform in some of the most amazing cities.
Ballet is the basis of all dance styles and you need a good grounding in ballet to go onto other dance forms such as musical theatre, jazz and contemporary.
You could go into dance teaching or a whole host of jobs within the theatre such as stage management, set design, costume.
You could even use dancing to help you in work such as Physiotherapy and medicine.
- Do you have a lot of boys?
Yes! Dance is as much for boys as it is for girls. Professional Male dancers have to be as fit as Olympic Athletes and have to be very, very strong.
We have a lot of boys training within the Academy and have a company of professional dancers which includes 20 male dancers.
- Will I get to perform?
Yes! Academy students have the opportunity to take part in an annual end of year showing as well as other performances throughout the year. Sometimes Academy students also have the opportunity to perform with the company dancers in large scale productions such as ‘The Nutcracker’.
- What happens if I change my mind?
Don’t worry- this is normal. You don’t have to decide if you want to be a professional dancer yet! It is normal for students to change their minds. It does take a long time to train as a professional dancer though so if you would be interested in it then our advice would be start the training and just take each term as it comes.
- What will I have to wear?
It depends on which course you join. Girls will usually have to wear leotard, ballet tights and ballet shoes. Boys will usually have to wear shorts and a vest or leotard and ballet shoes. Students who have been given ‘Spotted’ can apply for a uniform bursary if needed.
- What time will the classes start?
Classes usually start at 17.00.
- Do I have to have danced before?
No- we think you have potential and that is all that matters at this stage!