5 things you need to know about The Great Gatsby
1. F. Scott Fitzgerald considered many different titles for The Great Gatsby including the not-so-catchy Among Ash-Heaps and Millionaires, Trimalchio and my personal favourite: Gold-Hatted Gatsby.
2. Many of the characters we know and love in The Great Gatsby were based on real people from Fitzgerald’s life. Daisy and Jordan were based on debutantes Ginevra King Jordan and Edith Cummings. Here are Martha Leebolt as Daisy and Hannah Bateman as Jordan (Photo Bill Cooper).
3. Over 65,000 people have seen our version of The Great Gatsby so far.
4. The Great Gatsby has been adapted for the big screen a few times. The 1974 version with Robert Redford and Mia Farrow is considered a classic interpretation. The more recent 2013 Baz Luhrmann version received mixed reviews but Fitzgerald’s granddaughter said that ‘Scott would have been proud’.
5. The music for our version of The Great Gatsby is by Sir Richard Rodney Bennett CBE. Even if you haven’t heard of him, you’ll have heard his music in well-known films such as Murder on the Orient Express and Four Weddings and a Funeral.