From our archive: Romeo & Juliet
On 26 February 2015 we held our company première of Jean-Christophe Maillot's Les Ballets de Monte Carlo production of Romeo and Juliet at the Festival Theatre in Edinburgh. In celebration of this, we took a look back in our archive at all the versions of Romeo & Juliet we have performed during our history.
Former Artistic Director Robert de Warren premièred Romeo & Juliet...Tragic Memories in 1978, a piece that relived the lovers' tragic story from the perspective of The Nurse. During Christopher Gable's directorship, in 1991 we premièred Massimo Moricone's Romeo & Juliet, a production which has become one of the most best-loved ballets in our repertoire. Finally, David Nixon OBE invited Jean-Christophe Maillot to stage his version on our company five years ago; a stripped back production with a modern aesthetic which laid bare the raw emotions of the incredible story.
Items from our collection shown here include:
- Photographs from Robert de Warren's Romeo & Juliet...Tragic Memories and Massimo Moricone's Romeo & Juliet
- Programme pages for Robert de Warren's Romeo & Juliet...Tragic Memories and Massimo Moricone's Romeo & Juliet
- Contact sheets from a photo shoot for Robert de Warren's Romeo & Juliet...Tragic Memories
- A cast sheet proof for Robert de Warren
- Posters from Massimo Moricone's Romeo & Juliet and Jean-Christophe Maillot's Romeo and Juliet
- A page from Christopher Gable's notebook with counts for the Balcony duet. This page shows scorch marks following a fire at Northern Ballet's HQ in 2001
- Photographs of the Balcony duet from 1996 and more recently from our Gala in 2020
- A photograph from rehearsals for Jean-Christophe Maillot's Romeo and Juliet
- A production photograph from Jean-Christophe Maillot's Romeo and Juliet
Photos shown are by Emma Kauldhar, Brian Linney, Andy Ross and Brian Slater.