SHIFTing Perception Conference
Developing technique for dancers with learning disabilities and autism
Tue 7 July, 10am
Stanley & Audrey Burton Theatre
0113 220 8008
On sale February 2020
Free (Booking required)
Meet colleagues from across the globe, develop new skills and see inspiring performances at the SHIFTing Perception conference.
Presented as part of Expressions 2020, this free conference will give you an understanding of key activities and approaches you can use when working with dancers with learning disabilities and autism.
Everyone is welcome to join but the day will be especially beneficial for dance practitioners, teachers, lecturers and those delivering professional training.
This insightful conference is the culmination of SHIFT Dance, an Erasmus+ funded project led by Northern Ballet, Misiconi Dance Company (Netherlands), Psico Ballet Maite Leon Foundation (Spain) and the Universities of Leeds and Edinburgh.
The conference will include the launch of the SHIFT online teaching resource. This toolkit offers a new teaching practice, developed during the SHIFT project, for dancers with learning disabilities, autism or both, underpinned by safe practice and a particular focus on hypermobility.
Tickets for the SHIFTing Perception conference are free, but booking is required.
- Lecture demonstrations from Northern Ballet’s Ability, Misiconi Dance Company and Psico Ballet Maite Leon Foundation
- Breakout sessions including practical workshops and presentations
- Panel discussions exploring the findings of SHIFT within a wider dance industry context
- Lunch and networking opportunities
- Performances from Northern Ballet’s Ability, Misiconi Dance Company and Psico Ballet Maite Leon Foundation
More details about the conference programme will be announced in spring 2020.
Performance, Networking & Conference Package
Hosted by Leeds Dance Partnership
A limited number of package tickets are available for those wishing to attend the SHIFTing Perception conference. The package includes:
- A ticket to the SHIFTing Perception conference
- A ticket to the Expressions performance on Monday 6 July at 7pm
- A ticket to a pre-show reception on Monday 6 July, the perfect opportunity to network with fellow professionals in the sector
These limited packages are priced at £6 per person.
If you are unable to book a package ticket but would like a ticket to the Expressions performance on Monday 6 July, general tickets for the performance will go on sale in spring. Find out more
- The Stanley and Audrey Burton Theatre has a tiered seating bank and we will use unallocated seating. Please let us know if you are a wheelchair user so that we can reserve a space for you. We are also able to provide comfortable bean bag seats and chairs in case these are more accessible for you – please let us know
- All of our practical workshops are fully inclusive so that everyone can participate. At the point of booking your breakout session we will ask you if you have any specific access requirements
- Talks that take place in the Stanley and Audrey Burton Theatre will be live speech to text captioned. Please note, the practical breakout sessions will not be captioned
- There is an Infrared hearing loop in the Stanley & Audrey Burton Theatre auditorium and headsets are available from the box office. Seating is unreserved - please ask a member of the Front of House team where to sit in order to use this service effectively
For any enquiries about your access needs please contact Northern Ballet’s Learning team on email@example.com or by calling 0113 220 8000.