Rehearsals, Mozart and new strings

Published on Friday 25 March, 2011

Image courtesy of Joanne RozarioThe rehearsal between shows went really well yesterday. We did some in-depth work on the Tartini. We had been discussing whether we should be attempting to play in an authentic Baroque style. After some debate we decided that it wasn't such a good idea. The clarinet hadn't even been invented at this time so we're already very, very un-authentic!! We have now settled on a more contemporary voice.

As we had limited time, we decided to run through the Mozart. It's a good way to get an over-view of what's sitting well and what we still need to work on. I think we were all pleasantly surprised that it's become so comfortable so quickly.

Raimonda had put new strings on her violin in preparation for the concert. She normally uses metal strings but she has decided to try something new and these ones are gut with a metal core. As a wind player I obviously don't have to deal with strings so it was interesting to hear her talking about it. New strings take a while to settle down so she was having to re-tune quite often in the rehearsal yesterday.

We were all concerned about maintaining enough stamina for the evening performance so we finished our rehearsal at six o'clock and all charged off to eat.

The performances in Sheffield are incredibly well-supported and our evening performance was a great success.