Our new ballet The Little Mermaid is set to be one of our most beautiful productions yet, as we take you to a colourful underwater world where mermaids and seahorses dance among the waves.
To create such a mystical world, The Little Mermaid director, choreographer and costume designer David Nixon OBE tasked our in-house Wardrobe team with creating an array of spectacular costumes.
Take a look through the preview images and costume trivia ahead of our upcoming national tour.
Wardrobe Facts & Stats:
- There are 3 complete sets of costumes for The Little Mermaid being made to cover all casts.
- There are 8 wigs and 26 headdresses being made.
- We have ordered 200 buckles for the men’s kilts. We are making 50 kilts in total.
- There is 14 metres of sequinned fabric, all dyed to different colours for each character.
- We have had the fabric printed specially – 206 metres for the women and 170 metres for the men.
- The Sea People’s costumes are based on circles.
- There is lots of sunray pleating in the show, pleated in half and quarter circles. 70 half circles have been pleated for the male Sea costumes.
- There are 79 half circles and 28 quarter circles for all the mermaid costumes.
- The women’s Sea costumes have 14 metres of fabric each in the skirts, and are each made up of 6 half circles and 1 whole circle.
Photos Lauren Godfrey.