Volunteer at Expressions, our celebration of inclusive dance.
Are you D/deaf or disabled and passionate about inclusive dance? Want to be a part of Expressions but being on stage isn’t for you? Meet like-minded people while supporting the event as a member of the Front of House volunteer team.
Why volunteer at Expressions?
- You will be supporting the only inclusive dance platform in Leeds, and helping dancers from across Yorkshire and beyond showcase their work to an audience.
- You’ll meet new people and make new friends. Volunteers join us from across Leeds to support performances in our studio theatre and you’ll also get to know staff across the different teams working at Northern Ballet.
- Learn new skills and develop your confidence. You will be welcoming members of the public into the Northern Ballet building and helping them to have a safe and enjoyable experience. Before Expressions, there will be training sessions to help you practice your new skills. No previous experience is required to take part.
- You’ll have loads of fun! Expressions really is a celebration, and you’ll get to watch brilliant dance performances. Expect music from your favourite films and musicals, and all styles of dance from disco to contemporary. Described as ‘inspiring’, ‘moving’ and ‘fun’, Expressions will have you dancing in your seat.
What will you be doing?
- Led by our Front of House Duty Manager you will work in a team to provide excellent and inclusive customer service to participants and audiences at Expressions.
- Welcome people on arrival, provide them with a programme, check their tickets and show them to their seats.
- You will learn some Makaton signs so that we can say ‘hello’ to everyone coming to the show.
- Help people to find the chill out room, changing room, and hand out ear defenders as needed.
- Make sure people know they are at a Relaxed Performance and what that means.
- Ask people to complete feedback forms to let us know if they enjoyed Expressions.
When do you need to be available?
Wednesday 17 May, 6-8.30pm. This is our recruitment day.
You will come to Northern Ballet to meet some of the team and other people interested in volunteering. We’ll tell you all about Expressions and some of the tasks you would do as a volunteer. Don’t worry, there won’t be any interview questions!
The first step to being an amazing Front of House volunteer is knowing what it’s like to be in the audience, so you will watch a performance in our studio theatre from 7.30-8.30pm. You can also bring a friend with you to see the show.
Tuesday 20 June 2.45-6.30pm. This is your first training day.
If you decide you would like to take part, you will come to Northern Ballet with all the new volunteers and we will go through all of the tasks you will do in your Front of House role. You’ll also take part in some Makaton training.
Dates in June and July. This is your second training day.
You will shadow other Front of House volunteers at a real performance and have a go at the tasks you feel comfortable with. The performance dates to choose from take place in June and July.
Wednesday 12 at 1pm & 7pm, and Thursday 13 July at 1pm & 7pm – Expressions takes place.
There will be four performances and you will join us to volunteer at at least 1 performance.
After Expressions, if you enjoyed volunteering with us, you will be invited to join our regular volunteer pool and will be invited to support at performances across the year in our studio theatre.
How to apply?
- This opportunity is open to people who identify as D/deaf, disabled, having long-term health conditions or neurodivergent under the Social Model of Disability or who have faced barriers to the workplace and volunteering opportunities due to access needs not being met.
- This opportunity is only open to people aged 18 years and above.
- You must be available for the Recruitment Day, Training Day 1 and 2, and one performance of Expressions.
Please complete the short application form to give us a bit of information about you and why you would like to volunteer at Expressions.
Deadline: 16 May 2023
You can also download this form as a Word document.
Alternatively, you could create a video or voice clip of yourself answering the questions that can be found on the word document form and email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other useful information
- Front of House volunteers are not paid for their time. If you volunteer for us for 4 hours or more on one day, you will receive a free drink and sandwich at our café.
- On performance days you will be offered a car parking space at Northern Ballet. On the recruitment day and training days we will be able to cover your travel expenses but may not be able to provide a parking space at Northern Ballet.
- There’ll be plenty of biscuits and hot drinks.
- The Northern Ballet building has a wide range of accessible features including being wheelchair accessible. To find out more visit our Accessibility webpage or contact Sam Moore on email@example.com
- Northern Ballet has identified that D/deaf and disabled people are underrepresented in our workforce and volunteer pool, and we acknowledge that this is common across the sector. We want to act positively and change this. Therefore, this opportunity is only open to people that identify as D/deaf, disabled, having long-term health conditions or neurodivergent under the Social Model of Disability or who have faced barriers to the workplace and volunteering opportunities due to access needs not being met.
Have a question?
You can contact us by calling 0113 220 8000 and asking for Sam Moore in the Learning team. Please note Sam doesn't work in the office every day, but if you leave a message with Reception she will get back to you.
You can also email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
After you have sent your application form, I will be in touch with more details about the activities listed above including confirming the dates and times you will be required to come to Northern Ballet and what we will do on each day.