Get involved and take your shoes off!
Don’t Just Sit There showcase performance
13th May, 7pm-8:30pm (doors open 6:30pm)
Stanley & Audrey Burton Theatre (how to find us)
On May 13th you will be asked to ‘Don’t Just Sit There’ but watch and get involved in the performances from our Cultural Partners in this one-off showcase featuring
- ArtForms percussion ensemble who will welcome you into the building
The performance begins at 7pm and includes
- Lishi (formerly The College of Chinese Physical Culture)
- Northern Ballet’s youth participatory performance
- Open Minds Youth Theatre Academy
- Phoenix Dance Theatre’s Academy with Rodillian School of Performing Arts and RJC Youth Dance Company
- ArtForms in association with Northern Orchestral Enterprises and Benton Park School
The evening ends with an especially composed anthem, 'When I move the world moves too', by London-based composer Stuart Wood in association with ArtForms, Northern Orchestral Enterprises and Benton Park School.
Over the last 6 months, Leeds Youth Percussion Ensemble, Leeds Youth Choir, Yorkshire Youth Choir and musicians from Benton Park School have worked with Stuart Wood to create a new piece of music celebrating the spirit of 2012. The finished anthem, has been awarded an Inspire Mark by London 2012 and so, has become part of the official Cultural Olympiad.
Listen to the anthem hosted by Radiowaves
This showcase performance marks the end of the first phase of Don’t Just Sit There, part of imove which is a new and imaginative celebration of human movement, bringing together the best creative talent from the region to produce a programme of events designed to inspire the public in the run up to the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games. imove is funded by Legacy Trust UK, Yorkshire Forward and Arts Council England.