Northern Ballet appoints five new members to its Board of Directors
Northern Ballet has appointed five new members to its Board of Directors to support and guide the Leeds-based company as it prepares to mark its 50th anniversary later this year. The new board members are Cllr Judith Blake CBE, Philip Keller, Jolyon Harrison, Javaad Alipoor and Clive Lloyd bringing the total number of Board Directors to 15, representing a diverse mix of backgrounds and expertise.
- Cllr Judith Blake CBE: Labour politician and Leader of Leeds City Council since May 2015.
- Philip Keller: Former Chief Financial Officer at Intermediate Capital Group.
- Jolyon Harrison: Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director of Gleeson Homes.
- Javaad Alipoor: Artist, director, writer and activist specialising in creating theatre for communities with low arts engagement.
- Clive Lloyd: Managing Director of Design & Display Ltd, manufacturers of office and retail furniture.
Mark Skipper DL, Chief Executive at Northern Ballet said: ‘Any successful arts organisation needs a diverse Board focused on the range of challenges within which it needs to operate. I am delighted that all our new appointments add specific additional value to the portfolio of Board members that we already have supporting the organisation, and I am looking forward to working with them during this exciting anniversary period and into the future.’
Sir David Wootton, Chairman of Northern Ballet’s Board of Directors said: ‘Our new Board members bring a wide range of skills and experiences to fill out those already well represented on the Board, giving us a strong and healthy diversity, and balance of backgrounds, which will serve us well and enable us at Board level to fully support the Company’s artistic and creative ambitions. We will celebrate our 50th anniversary not with a retrospect, but with innovative new work and I am looking forward to an exciting future in every area of the Company’s programmes.’
Northern Ballet is currently on the world première tour of its new production of Victoria. This year the Company will also perform The Great Gatsby, Cinderella, Dracula, Puss in Boots and a programme of short ballets. See northernballet.com/whatson for details. Plans for the Company’s 50th anniversary programme will be announced this summer.