Today we announced our full programme through to spring 2025 - we hope you'll join us as the adventure unfolds.
- From November we'll be getting into the spirit of the season with a revival our festive classic A Christmas Carol, directed by Christopher Gable CBE and choreographed by Massimo Moricone. A Christmas Carol reimagines Dickens’ timeless tale through dance, music and storytelling with designs from award-winning designer Lez Brotherston OBE and music from Carl Davies.
- In a Company first, a run of Christopher Gable CBE and Massimo Moricone’s Romeo & Juliet, will be performed at the prestigious Royal Shakespeare Theatre in Stratford-upon-Avon from the 19 – 28 September. It will then visit Southampton’s Mayflower Theatre, the Marlowe Theatre in Canterbury and Newcastle Theatre Royal.
- The Company is raising funds to restage this landmark production and support our wonderful Sinfonia. Every gift makes an impact – enabling us to support live music at Northern Ballet. Make a difference today and find out more
These performances will take place to recorded music.
Developing new voices in dance
- May 2024 will see the return of Sketches, our creative lab and performance opportunity for new choreographic talent which made a sold-out debut last year. This year, along with talent from within Northern Ballet, DeNada Dance Theatre’s Carlos Pons Guerra will have the opportunity to create and innovate here at Northern Ballet.
- Three Short Ballets is back for 2024. Made up of bite-size ballets, the programme will include a new ballet in response to Romeo & Juliet by Olivier Award-winning choreographer Mthuthuzeli November. Inspired by R.L. Peteni's South African novel Hill of Fools.
- The dancers will also perform Four Last Songs. Created in 1977 by Dutch ballet pioneer Rudi van Dantzig it is a breathtaking expression of love, loss, and the beauty of the human experience.
- Yorkshire heroine Jane Eyre is back on stage in Cathy Marston’s acclaimed adaptation Charlotte Brontë's gripping novel. Performed to live music by Northern Ballet Sinfonia, watch Jane overcome the odds and find her strength.
- Keep an eye out later this year for the announcement of a new children's ballet which will premiere in early 2025.
“I am delighted to announce the return of Christopher Gable CBE & Massimo Moricone’s A Christmas Carol and Cathy Marston’s Jane Eyre to stages over the coming year. Both of these productions hold a special part in Northern Ballet’s history and exemplify our mission to tell stories that connect. September will also see the return of our hugely successful Three Short Ballets series that lends the talent of our dancers and creative team to three artists from across the sector, bringing new voices and perspectives to the fore.
Live music is central to our storytelling and to our artistic vision. Due to unprecedented rises in operating costs however, some performances this year will be to recorded music and some to live music from our Sinfonia. We remain as passionate as ever about the importance of live music and its role in our ballets past, present and future.”
Federico Bonelli, Artistic Director
On sale now
Next month Romeo & Juliet will make it's long awaited return to Leeds Grand Theatre, before setting off on a spring tour, accompanied by live music from Northern Ballet Sinfonia.